Nice and simple project here which could be completed within a couple of hours spread over a couple of days if you have all the tools and bits.
As I started it began to rain (again !) and a wonderful rainbow appeared
Starting off with a 6mm doweling rod I cut out nine poles each 10cm high. Then using an off cut of hardboard I cut out some base squares. These were then 'holed' with a 6mm drill.
As you can see the dowel sits nice and snug
Next up is to drill two 1.5mm holes in the upper part of the pole. Once done push through cocktail sticks and cut to size.
With the pole complete add pva glue and ballast to the base. This has the added advantage of fixing the pole to the base
Once these were dry - I accelerated the process by popping then on a radiator - I gave them a good coat of brown paint. The bases were then given a lighter brown dry bush.
The posts were then drybrushed greys and light browns for the weathered effect. Static grass and grass tufts were added. Hey bingo were finished
Here you can see the telegraph poles in action - when I actually set up to game I'll suspend black thread along the poles
If interested in how the roads were made head here
If interested in how the hedges were made head here
a full set of photos from the VBCW village will be posted later this week.
Before I sign off let return to Grass Tufts I thought I'd bring to your attention a product I found on the internet some time ago. I buried this in my terrain box and only came across it yesterday.
The tufts themselves come from a company called Warpainter.Net and as you can see they come in a rather nifty DVD style box.
I bought these on ebay a bout a year ago. I don't seem to be able to find them again but there are loads of different versions if you search for grass tufts.
Will definitely start using these forward going.